Modifier 59 -- View the following resources related to modifier 59 and subsets:
Tips and frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Append modifier 26 to indicate professional services whether in an office, inpatient or outpatient setting.
- Submit global services on one line. Do not append a modifier when submitting claims for global services; providers should only bill globally when they have performed the imaging service and the interpretation in an office setting.
- Append modifier 50 (bilateral procedure) to bilateral surgical procedure code(s) that require the use of a modifier.
- Submit bilateral surgical procedure code(s) on one claim line/service line with one unit.
- Append modifier 51 (multiple procedures) to all surgical procedures that are billed in addition to the primary surgical procedure.
- For more information on Modifiers please access Medicare Claim Processing Manual .
- Review questions and answers pertaining to modifiers.
Use the following decision flowcharts to assist in correctly applying modifiers
- Modifier 59 Flowchart -- Find information on modifier 59 and proper usage regarding distinct procedural service.
- Global surgery: Billing basics (Part B) -- Recording
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.