Last Modified: 6/14/2022
Location: FL, PR, USVI
Business: Part A
Q: My inpatient claim is overlapping a home health episode with the same date(s) of service. How can I resolve this?
A: Claims for inpatient hospital and skilled nursing facility (SNF) services have priority over claims for home health services because beneficiaries cannot receive home care while they are institutionalized. A beneficiary cannot be institutionalized and simultaneously receive home care.
• Verify dates of service (DOS) on your claim
• If DOS are incorrect, correct your claim and resubmit.
• If DOS are correct, it is recommended you contact the home health agency and ask them to correct their claim.
• Edit exclusions:
• The inpatient claim admission date is the same as the home health agency transfer/discharge date
• The inpatient claim discharge date is the same as the home health agency admission date
• The inpatient claim dates are between the occurrence span code 74 ‘From’ date and the day following the occurrence span code ‘Through’ date
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.