Last Modified: 11/25/2017 Location: FL, PR, USVI Business: Part B
Avoiding denial reason code PR 49 FAQ
Q: We received a denial with claim adjustment reason code (CARC) PR 49. What steps can we take to avoid this denial?
Routine examinations and related services are not covered.
A: This denial is received when the claim is for a routine/preventive exam or a diagnostic/screening procedure, done in conjunction with a routine/preventative exam.
• Medicare does not cover diagnostic/screening procedures or evaluation and management (E/M) services for routine or screening purposes, such as an annual physical.
• Before submitting the claim, refer to "Active, Future, and Retired LCDs" medical coverage policies for a list of procedure codes related to services addressed in the local coverage determination (LCD), and the diagnoses for which a service is/is not considered medically reasonable and necessary.
• Medicare does cover certain preventive services.
• Click here for more information on covered preventive services.
• Click here for information on coding and billing for the Initial Preventive Physical Examination (IPPE) and the Annual Wellness Visit (AWV), both covered preventive benefits.
Make the necessary correction(s) and resubmit the claim, if applicable. Submit corrected line(s) only. Resubmitting the entire claim will result in a duplicate claim denial.
• If a payable diagnosis is indicated in the patient's encounter/service notes or record, correct the diagnosis and resubmit the claim.
• If a covered preventive service was coded wrong, correct the code and submit the corrected claim.
Please use your browser's back button to return to the referring page.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.