Last Modified: 7/8/2022
Location: FL, PR, USVI
Business: Part A, Part B
Q: How can I ensure the beneficiary identification information submitted on my claim matches information on file for the patient?
A: It is crucial that beneficiary identification information submitted on claims is identical to the information found on the beneficiary's most recent Medicare card. Make a copy of the Medicare card for your records.
• If you are a laboratory, radiology department, or other entity to which the patient or their service(s) may have been referred, obtain a copy of the patient's Medicare card from the referring source prior to submitting your claim and verify the information indicated below.
Use the beneficiary's Medicare card to verify the following:
• Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI): Verify the beneficiary's MBI, ensuring it has not been changed.
• Beneficiary's name: Verify the beneficiary's name indicated on your claim is exactly as it reads on their Medicare card. For example, do not indicate "Betty" if the card reads "Elizabeth."
• Effective date: Verify the effective date of coverage.
• Part A and/or Part B: Verify which part of the Medicare program the beneficiary is enrolled, either A or B or both.
Eligibility dates: Click here
for ways to verify current and previous dates of service eligibility.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.