Last Modified: 11/28/2017 Location: FL, PR, USVI Business: Part A, Part B
The Medicare Learning Network® (MLN®) is your destination for educational information for Medicare fee-for-service providers. The MLN® is the brand name for official Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) national provider education products designed to promote national consistency of Medicare provider information. Most importantly, the MLN® is here to help you!
How can I benefit from MLN® products?
CMS understands the uncertainty you are often faced with when it comes to keeping up with changes in Medicare policy. The MLN® aimed to solve that problem by providing you with a variety of training and educational materials developed in plain language with actionable tips to use in your day-to-day operations.
One example of the benefits of utilizing the MLN® resources and products is they give Medicare fee-for-service health care professionals information on coverage, coding, billing, reimbursement, and claim filing procedures for Medicare-covered services, such as preventive services and screenings for:
• Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening
• Adult immunizations (pneumococcal, hepatitis B)
• Annual wellness visit, including personalized prevention plan services
• Bone mass measurements
• Cancer screenings (colorectal, prostate, mammography, pap tests, pelvic)
• Cardiovascular screening
• Diabetes screening
• Diabetes supplies
• Diabetes self-management training
• Glaucoma screening
• Hepatitis C virus screening
• HIV screening
• Initial preventive physical exam ("Welcome to Medicare" physical exam)
• Intensive behavioral therapy for cardiovascular disease
• Intensive behavioral therapy for obesity
• Medical nutrition therapy (for Medicare beneficiaries with diabetes or renal disease)
• Screening and behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce alcohol misuse
• Screening for depression in adults
• Screening for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and high intensity behavioral counseling to prevent STIs
• Tobacco-use cessation counseling services
The MLN® Catalog of Products contains all MLN® products currently available to health care providers and is available in print as well as an online electronic version. MLN® products include articles, educational tools, brochures, fact sheets, training guides, and web resources most of which can be viewed and/or downloaded directly from the online version of the catalog. Products that are available in hard copy only, including CD ROMs and DVDs, may be ordered from the MLN® Product Ordering page on the CMS website. All MLN® educational and informational products are offered free of charge.
Medicare Quarterly Provider Compliance Newsletter
MLN® has developed an educational tool, the Medicare Quarterly Provider Compliance Newsletter, to advise physicians, suppliers, and other fee-for-service providers about how to avoid common billing errors and other erroneous activities when dealing with the Medicare Program. The newsletter is issued on a quarterly basis and highlights the “top” issues of that particular quarter as identified through a variety of sources.
For more information, you may view the newsletters at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/Downloads/MedQtrlyCompNL_Archive.pdf on the CMS website.
The National Medicare Training Program (NMTP) is the official CMS source for consistent, accurate, and reliable Medicare training. Materials are designed in multiple formats for use by partners providing information, education, and assistance to people with Medicare. Click here to find information on NMTP products and services. Most products can be downloaded directly from the CMS website.
Listed below are additional resources CMS has developed and identified specifically for training:
• Training library at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Training/CMSNationalTrainingProgram/
The Guided Pathways to Medicare Resources was created by the MLN® as a source for fee-for-service (FFS) provider information. This basic or intermediate curriculum takes you on a tour of Medicare resources for institutional providers as well as physicians, non-physician practitioners, and suppliers.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.