To help maintain the confidentiality of Medicare beneficiary information and other protected health information (PHI), The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires a mailbox ID and a password to access the electronic data interchange (EDI) mailbox.
Providers who wish to submit or receive files through the EDI Gateway must first complete and submit an EDI enrollment form
. First Coast Service Options Inc. will assign a unique mailbox ID and an initial password. This information will be sent to the requestor upon approval.
The mailbox ID and password together are your logon command in your billing software and must remain current to avoid transmission disruptions.
• Mailbox IDs are case sensitive.
• They may contain upper or lower case letters [A-Z, a-z] or numbers [0-9], are exactly nine characters long.
• The mailbox ID does not expire and must be entered exactly as given.
• The password expires every 60 days.
• Passwords must be exactly eight characters long and may contain a combination of upper case letters and numbers.
• Passwords may not be repeated within ten updates and must differ from previous passwords by at least four characters.
• Passwords may not be the same as your mailbox ID.
• You cannot use the word “PASSWORD.”
• Read the message on the webpage carefully to determine if your password change was successful.
Note: If change was not accepted the message will tell you why your new password was not accepted. The “accepted” on the first line only confirms that your mailbox number was correct. It does not mean your password was accepted.
EXAMPLE 1- FAILED
C12G7ZW5: 2013/10/21 10:46:31 LOGON 904799999, MBAG=C12G7ZW5 ACCEPTED
C12G7ZW5: 2013/10/21 10:46:31 PASSWORD expires on '10/23/2015'
C12G7ZW5: 2013/10/21 10:46:31 INVALID NEW PASSWORD: SUMMER13 MSG003. Too few differences between old and new passwords.
C12G7ZW5: 2013/10/21 10:46:32 LOGOFF 904799999 MBAG=C12G7ZW5 ACCEPTED
EXAMPLE 2- FAILED
C12G80KI: 2013/10/21 11:20:28 LOGON 904799999, MBAG=C12G80KI ACCEPTED
C12G80KI: 2013/10/21 11:20:28 PASSWORD expires on '12/20/2015
C12G80KI: 2013/10/21 11:20:29 This password has been used within the last 10 changes. Cannot change password in data base!
C12G80KI: 2013/10/21 11:20:29
C12G80KI: 2013/10/21 11:20:29 LOGOFF 904799999 MBAG=C12G80KI ACCEPTED
EXAMPLE 3 - ACCEPTED
C12G80J4: 2013/10/21 11:17:11 LOGON 904799999, MBAG=C12G80J4 ACCEPTED
C12G80J4: 2013/10/21 11:17:11 PASSWORD expires on '10/23/2015
C12G80J4: 2013/10/21 11:17:12 PASSWORD CHANGE SUCCEEDED
C12G80J4: 2013/10/21 11:17:12 LOGOFF 904799999 MBAG=C12G80J4 ACCEPTED
Medicare EDI can be reached at (888) 670-0940, Transaction support option 1, Software Support option 2, DDE enrollment and password support option 3, and Enrollment option 4.
Enrollment can assist you if you have completed and submitted an EDI enrollment form and have not received your mailbox ID and password.
Software support can assist with software issues if you use the ABILITY | PC-ACE™ software distributed by First Coast Service Options Inc.
Transaction support can assist with changing your password on the First Coast website.
DDE support can assist you with DDE User ID requests and DDE password issues.
For information regarding entering your mailbox ID and password in your billing software, contact your software vendor.