Last Modified: 12/14/2017 Location: FL, PR, USVI Business: Part B
Compatibility view and other causes of reopening errors - FAQ
Q: When I try to edit a field (e.g., modifier, DOS), the SPOT won’t allow me to add a value, delete a value, or edit a value. How can I resolve this problem? Are there any other issues that may prevent the SPOT from accepting a new/replacement value for an edited field?
A: First, if the SPOT will not allow you to edit, remove, or enter a value in an editable field, check the compatibility settings in your internet browser.
If ‘Compatibility View’ is on, you must turn it off. The SPOT will not function correctly when ‘Compatibility View’ has been selected.
How to change ‘Compatibility view’ settings
To check whether your browser has been set to Compatibility View, please follow these steps:
1. If you are using Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu
2. If ‘Compatibility View’ has been selected, you will see a checkmark next to ‘Compatibility View.’
3. Select Compatibility View Settings from the Tools menu
4. Make sure that the checkbox next to Display all websites in Compatibility View is NOT checked.
5. You may cancel ‘Compatibility View’ by clicking on the Compatibility button (icon next to the URL). If it is dark gray, the Compatibility View is on:
6. To turn the ‘Compatibility View’ off, click the ‘Compatibility View’ icon -- the icon will appear with a light gray background.
Note: The page may reload after the change. Compatibility View must be off for the SPOT website to display and function correctly.
Other potential causes of edit errors
When a user selects a request type that requires the editing of one or more fields (i.e., Edit DOS From, Edit DOS To, Edit DOS Both, Edit Modifier, Edit Diagnosis Code, or Edit Procedure Code), the SPOT will validate the new/replacement value as soon as the cursor leaves the edited field based upon specific criteria.
The SPOT will validate the new/replacement value as soon as the cursor leaves the edited field based upon the following criteria:
• Formatting -- each field has a specific set of formatting guidelines. To view the formatting guideline for a specific field, place your cursor over the next to the corresponding column.
• Authenticity -- the value entered must be an authentic diagnosis code, modifier, or procedure code (as applicable). For example, a value of 000.1 is not a real diagnosis code and would not be accepted as a replacement code by the SPOT.
• Acceptability -- the value entered must be one that is permissible to use in a claim reopening through the SPOT. For example, the WU modifier may not be used as a replacement code for a claim reopening.
• Logic -- the relationship between the DOS From and DOS To values must be a logical relationship. For example, the DOS From value cannot be later than the DOS To value.
Since the SPOT validates an edited field after the cursor has moved out of the field, the SPOT will reject the new/replacement value and revert to the field’s original value if any of the following conditions occur:
• User tried to copy and paste a new/replacement value in the edit field
• User moved the cursor out of the editable field before typing in a new/replacement value
• User entered an invalid value
• User did not enter a new/replacement value in all required fields (applicable to Edit DOS Both request type)
• User entered a new/replacement value that may not be utilized in a claim reopening request
• User entered a new/replacement value that does not meet conditional requirements (e.g., entering a DOS From value that is later than the DOS To value)
• User entered a new/replacement value that does not meet formatting requirements (e.g., entering DOS From value as m/d/yy instead of mm/dd/yyyy)
Request type example: Edit Modifier
Once you have accessed the claim you wish to correct, follow these steps:
1. Select the line item you wish to correct
For this example, select Line Item 02
2. Select the Request Type based upon the field you wish to edit for that line item.
For this example, select Edit Both DOS for Line item 02
3. Once you have selected the request type for the line item, the editable field(s) will have a white background
4. Use your cursor to highlight the original value
5. Use the delete key to remove the original value, but do not move your cursor from the field
If you move the cursor out of the field before you type in the replacement value, the SPOT will display an error message, and the value will remain unchanged.
6. Type the new/replacement value into the field (do not use copy and paste to enter the value)
In this example, the new/replacement dates of service for Line 02 is 04/30/2017. If you try to copy and paste the new value into the editable field or if you accidentally move the cursor out of the field before you type in the new value, the SPOT will display an error message, and the value will revert to the original value
7. Once the new/replacement value has been typed into the editable field, you may use the Tab key or move the cursor out of the field.
8. If the new/replacement value meets all of the SPOT’s validity criteria, you will be able to edit another line item or click the Review button.
For more information on claim reopening requests, please refer to The SPOT: User Guide
Please use your browser's back button to return to the referring page.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.