Last Modified: 2/11/2018 Location: FL, PR, USVI Business: Part A, Part B
How to participate in a First Coast webcast FAQ
First Coast University news
Windows XP users (all versions) will no longer be able to participate in WebEx meetings. To continue attending WebEx meetings, upgrade to a supported operating system.
Q: How do I participate in a First Coast webcast or online seminar (i.e., WebEx session)?
A: First Coast’s educational events are designed to be interactive. During the webcast, the educator may ask participants to respond to questions, participate in a poll, or furnish input through WebEx’s chat box. In addition, at the conclusion of most First Coast webcasts, participants are encouraged to take an active part in the question and answer session. To participate, you will need to familiarize yourself with WebEx’s basic functionality as well as communications tools that may be used during the training session.
The WebEx screen is comprised of three main sections:
1. Presentation Area (located on the left-side of the screen) -- this section will display the educator’s PowerPoint presentation.
2. Participant Panel (located on the top-right portion of the screen) -- this section will display the host (Outreach Educator), the number of webcast participants, and your name or user ID. The buttons, located at the bottom of the Participant Panel, may be used to respond to the educator’s questions or request for input.
3. Chat Panel (located on the lower-right portion of the screen) -- this section will display any chat messages sent by the educator. The chat box, located at the bottom of the Chat Panel may be used to send the educator an instant message.
During the webcast, the educator may leave the WebEx main presentation screen and share his or her desktop. The purpose of “desktop sharing” is to allow participants to view documents or online resources not located on the WebEx site. Once the educator has navigated away from the WebEx main presentation screen, participants may use WebEx’s floating icon tray to access participant and chat panels:
Note: If you would like to move the WebEx floating icon tray to a different section of your viewing screen, just use your mouse to “drag and drop” the tray to a new location.
To access a specific panel, such as the Participant Panel or Chat Panel, just click its corresponding icon. For example, to respond to a question from the educator, click the Participant Panel icon, which looks like this:
After you have clicked the “people icon,” the WebEx floating icon tray will “open” the Participant Panel and offer you access to the row of communication buttons.
Tip: To discover the function of a particular button, just place your cursor over the icon.
Question and answer (Q&A) session
During the last few minutes of a First Coast webcast, the educator will usually open the Q&A session. He or she will return to the WebEx main presentation screen and ask if any of the participants have any questions about the topics discussed during the main presentation.
To ask a question:
1. Click the Raise hand button (located in the row of communication buttons at the bottom of the Participant Panel to let the educator know you have a question
2. Wait for the educator to call your name and ask for you to share your question
3. Once your question has been answered, please click the Raise hand button again
Please use your browser's back button to return to the referring page.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.