Last Modified: 2/2/2018 Location: FL, PR, USVI Business: Part A, Part B
First Coast upgrades SPOT’s secure messaging to handle PDF documents
Since January 20, 2017, Medicare providers using First Coast Service Options’ (First Coast) Secure Provider Online Tool (SPOT) are able to submit documents using the Adobe® Acrobat portable document format (PDF) when using SPOT’s secure messaging system.
Prior to this improvement, SPOT account holders were required to convert some electronic documents to a tagged image file format (TIFF) in order to use the secure messaging platform. Providers offering feedback through SPOT and other First Coast channels said the conversion was inefficient and requested the format be changed to the more familiar PDF. Using PDF versus TIFF will allow providers to include more pages of information in a single electronic file, though the electronic file size limitation of 8MB with SPOT secure messaging will remain.
“The SPOT is the way to go. No more filling out forms and then having to fax or mail them in,” said one provider who uses the secure messaging feature to save time and postage costs. “You hit ‘send’. Boom. There it goes. No visits to the post office.”
SPOT’s secure messaging feature allows account holders to select and submit appeal requests, overpayment forms, and additional development responses (ADR) from SPOT to First Coast’s e-documentation system. In addition, secure messaging allows users to include support documentation as needed or required. Available secure messaging forms include:
• Additional claim documentation response - Respond to ADR requests for prepay claim
• Claim redetermination request - Level 1 appeal request
• Claim reopening request - Clerical reopening (Part A)
• Electronic Data Interchange enrollment form
• General inquiry request - Questions about Medicare program/policies
• Provider Audit & Reimbursement (cost reports) – all documents related to annual cost report filing for Part A providers.
• Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) overpayment form - Voluntary refund of an overpayment for an MSP claim (Part B)
• Non-MSP overpayment form - Voluntary refund of an overpayment for a Non-MSP claim (Part B)
• Overpayment redetermination request - Appeal of an overpayment decision (Part B)
First Coast offers SPOT to providers at no charge. With SPOT, Medicare providers have the ability to view claims status and patient eligibility information online, conduct detailed data analysis at the claim and provider levels, reopen claims to make clerical corrections on multiple lines, and submit redeterminations and additional development responses (ADRs). In November 2016, First Coast added the ability to view remittances through SPOT.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.