Last Modified: 5/15/2020
Location: FL, PR, USVI
Business: Part A, Part B
Q: How do I look up an MBI in SPOT?
A: Users of the Secure Provider Online Tool (SPOT) can easily search for and find beneficiaries’ Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers (MBI) using the MBI Lookup.
To find a beneficiary’s MBI in SPOT, follow these steps:
• Select Eligibility in the top navigation menu, then click MBI lookup
• The MBI Lookup form will appear
• Enter the beneficiary’s first name, last name, Social Security Number (SSN), and date of birth. Then, click the “I’m not a robot” box and Search. These elements are required by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to obtain an MBI.
• Note: reCAPTCHA verification is required to proceed to the next step. If this verification is not visible, please contact your IT department to adjust your browser settings.
• Note: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Eligibility Transaction System (HETS) – the source for all eligibility data in SPOT – requires that SSNs be provided to retrieve an MBI.
• The MBI results will appear. To check a beneficiary’s eligibility, click Check Eligibility to generate an eligibility report.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.