Last Modified: 5/22/2019
Location: FL, PR, USVI
Business: Part A, Part B
Use the MBI lookup – available exclusively for SPOT users
Did you know that you have to start using your Medicare patients’ new Medicare beneficiary identifiers, or MBIs, starting January 1, 2020? We encourage you to start using MBIs now for all Medicare transactions to ensure a smooth transition.
There are three ways to obtain the MBI if you don’t have it.
• First, ask your patient for their new Medicare card. If they tell you they haven’t received it, instruct them to call 1-800-Medicare.
• Second, you can use First Coast’s MBI lookup tool on our provider portal, SPOT.
• Lastly, you can check the remittance advice since the MBI is returned on the remittance advice for every claim submitted with a valid and active health insurance claim number (HICN).
Don’t delay! Start using the MBI on your claims now to ensure there won’t be any interruption in your claim payments come January 1, 2020.
• For beneficiaries who did not receive their card after mailings in their area is complete:
Print and give them the “Still Waiting for Your New Card?” handout (in English
• Or tell them to call 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227). There might be something that needs to be corrected, such as updating their mailing address.
First Coast Service Options (First Coast) strives to ensure that the information available on our provider website is accurate, detailed, and current. Therefore, this is a dynamic site and its content changes daily. It is best to access the site to ensure you have the most current information rather than printing articles or forms that may become obsolete without notice.